Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Unexpected Bumps Along the Road



I'm glad I decided to take a quick detour to pick some more strawberries at Froeburg's Vegetable Farm on my way home from a seminary supervisor training meeting in Alvin today.  I didn't take time to change clothes, just headed on out in a dress and my good shoes looking a tad over dressed and within 15 minutes I had this big, beautiful bucket of strawberries and was on my way!  My timing was perfect because later that evening we had another round of torrential rain storms that turned everything into a muddy mess out there. 
The last time I picked strawberries at Froeburg's the mud was thick & slippery and the fruit flies were out in droves.  Luckily I had brought an old pair of shoes just in case so I wouldn't mind so much when the gooey, gray mud oozed up over the tops of my shoes.
  
We've been eating fresh strawberries, Strawberry shortcake, strawberries with sugar and cream, and chocolate dipped strawberries all season long; but this batch is going to be made into some delicious freezer jam ...yummm!  There's nothing better than the smell of strawberry jam wafting through the kitchen.  Wish I could bottle that sweet aroma and have it around all year long!


It was a beautiful, cool day on Saturday so I decided to spend the morning working outside in the yard.  While I was planting some flowers I started fiddling with our metal gate (the one that was damaged during Hurricane Ike) and it slipped off the rock that the lawn guys had put under it to keep it stable. Unfortunately my finger was in the way and ended up getting crushed between the metal post and the brick wall of our house; and my finger nail got ripped off in the process! It is just hanging on at the cuticle.  Oh boy, did that hurt, bleed, and...even make me cry a bit!  It pretty much put a damper on my plans for the rest of the day.  It looks like the freezer jam will have to be put on the back burner for a day or two to give me some time to recuperate.  8(

1 Comments:

Blogger Just a thought... said...

Last night I accidentally poured hot oil across my hand while cooking dinner. Who knows ...maybe I was a little distracted due to food poisoning thanks to a breakfast burrito from Burger King that morning. Luckily it wasn't on the hand with the smashed finger and the temperature was only 250 degrees. Could have been worse ...much worse!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home