Monday, January 09, 2012

The Great Flood of 2012

I woke up this morning around 7 am to the sound of thunder and the flash of lightning. We have had a severe drought the past couple of years so imagine my surprise when I looked out of the front door and saw this:

It didn't take long before the water got deeper ....

and deeper ...

and deeper!

This was at the height of the storm when the flooding was at it's worse. The storm drains just couldn't keep up with it. I got in the car and drove to the front of the house to see if anything was blocking the drain but I couldn't even see where it was supposed to be! I opened the car door and quickly closed it after seeing the water level was almost even with the bottom edge of the car door. It was about that time that I realized that this wasn't such a good idea after all! I carefully backed up and went back into the drive way and into the garage.
At one point during the storm I did think about launching our inflatable boat just because I thought it would be cool to try it out but ended up deciding ...Nahhh, too much trouble!

It wasn't long after the rain stopped that the water quickly receeded.

There were reports of a couple of tornadoes that went over Rosenburg and Pecan Grove ...about 4.5 miles from us. A friend in the Mission Bend area of our stake had a tornado go through her neighborhood. She lost her fence and her roof is leaking. She also had water coming in her front door so all in all I think we were fortunate just to have a little flooding. It could have been much, much worse.

During the storm Copper was cowering in the laundry room. When all was well I opened the door and tried to get him to go back outside. He would get to the back door then run back to the
laundry room. After chasing him around the island about 5 times I finally gave up and let him stay in for awhile longer. What a scardy cat!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home